Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Day of Driving

I drove a manual transmission rental car in a foreign country with an American license today. Yup, first time driving in Germany.
At times, it was terrifying, only because I hardly know how to drive manual much less in a foreign country with foreign laws. Granted, I’ve read the rules of the road book and become familiar with the driving but STILL.
I pulled out of the rental car agency without a hitch, which was unlike my daydreams which consisted of me starting the car and immediately stalling while the car rental employee shakes their head thinking, “What have I done?”
To make sure I was okay, Justin, who drove me there, followed behind me with a very safe distance between us. I drove like a grandma, almost always going at least 5-10 km under the speed limit. It was funny looking in my rearview mirror on the country road and seeing a line of three cars impatiently tailgating Justin while I refused to speed up.
See, German roads aren’t like American roads, as I’m sure you all could guess. They’re a lot narrower. For example, on most roads in the villages if there is car parked on the side of the road that means there isn’t enough room for two way traffic. So, if you’re traveling along the road and suddenly there isn’t enough room for you and the car coming towards you to fit because of a parked car in front of you, you have to slow down, let them pass, and go around the parked car.
Very simple, right? But let’s add another factor: Not being 100% confident in your slowing down skills. This happened to me, and it went like this,
I started pressing the brake, which slowed down the car. I downshifted into what I thought was second gear, but it really could have been fourth. After the car passed, I pushed on the gas and prayed. It turned out to be second! I lived!
Up til now, I’m sure it seems like I had a horrible time driving, but it was fun in that thrilling, I’m driving in a new country kind of way with a manual. How European. I decided before coming here that if I didn’t learn how to drive manual, then I fail at living here. I’m in Europe! I have to learn how to drive stick!
The best part of the drive, by faaaaar was after I parked outside of Justin’s place and was told that I needed to move about twenty feet further up. I turned on the car and kept stalling it while Justin standing there watching with an amused look on his face. After about the fifth time stalling, he gets in the car and talks me through it while chuckling at my antics.
I’m still not very confident in my stick shift skills and need to be able to drive in order to get what I need to do done. It’s only been a day, though. I just need to practice and all will be well in Deutschland!
Here's an example of what the roads look like. They're a bit narrower where I'm at. Also, notice lack of dividing lines painted on the road. Yeaaaah.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah:
    Delightful German street. So, the locals park on the sidewalk.
    So, when is the right time to actually rent an apartment?
    Anyway, totally cute place.
    Take care.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete